Day 14 of Government Shutdown
As the government shutdown enters into its third week and a quick resolution seems dim, we need you to communicate to your elected leaders the harmful impact on the business travel industry. Coupled with a possible default on the nation’s debt obligations we – the business travel community – need Congress and the Administration to find a solution now. Visit GBTA’s Legislative Action Center to send a message to Congress and the Administration. By getting involved, YOU can change the debate!
On Friday, October 11, the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science & Transportation held a hearing on “The Impacts of the Government Shutdown on Our Economic Security”. GBTA submitted comments for the record, which illustrated the importance of business travel and stressed the negative impact the shutdown is having on the industry.
Also on Friday, GBTA published results of a member survey on the impact of the shutdown. Here’s a rundown of media coverage on the survey results:
- Politico – 10/14/13 (Morning Transportation Newsletter)
- International Meetings Review – 10/14/13 (GBTA Report: U.S. Government Shutdown is Hurting Business Travel)
- Triangle Business Journal – 10/14/13 (Shutdown impacts aviation business)
- Business Travel News – 10/11/13 (Survey: Government Shutdown Causing Some Travel, Meetings Cancellations)
- Travel Market Report – 10/11/13 (GBTA warns Govt. Shutdown will have severe impact)
- Hotels Magazine – 10/11/13 (AH&LA petitions US to end shutdown, damage felt)
- Travel Agent Central – 10/11/13 (GBTA: Government Shutdown is Hurting Business Travel)
- Successful Meetings – 10/11/13 (Government Shutdown Hurting Business Travel, Survey Shows)
- Business Traveler USA – 10/11/13 (GBTA survey finds government shutdown affects business travel industry)
- Black Enterprise – 10/11/13 (Government Shutdown Hurting the Business Travel & the Travel Industry)