Stuck at the Airport? Quick Survival Tips
Stuck at the airport? Yesterday’s winter storm was expected to impact more than 40 million travelers. Make sure you’re fully prepared with some of these invaluable tips in case you find yourself stuck at the airport:
- Keep Your Cell Ready – As soon as your flight cancellation is announced, quickly ring the airline or your travel agent as booking a new flight can prevent you from getting stuck at the airport in the first place.
- Get A Business Lounge Day Pass – Many airports now offer one-day passes to their business lounges for a nominal fee, which means access to a business center equipped with desks, dataports, computers, wireless hot spots, or even old-fashioned faxes. Some lounges even have showers.
- Look Beyond The Gate – If you don’t need to camp out right at your gate, consider relocating to one of the less busy eateries in the terminal, where you’re more likely to find an available electrical outlet.
- Pamper Yourself – If you’ve got the time and money, most major airports have reasonably priced services for massages, facials and haircuts to help the time go by a little more pleasantly.
- Stock Up On Supplies – Most airport concessions close before midnight, so if you’re stuck overnight, make sure you stock up on enough food and drink to last the night.
- Practice Safe Napping – If you have to take a nap, put your feet atop the laptop bag. Stick cash and credit cards in your shoe or in the pocket of your pants. When you do leave your temporary workspace, make sure to check the area in case you forget a coat or hat.
- Network – Getting cancelled can actually mean a great opportunity to network and make connections with fellow business travelers. Carry extra business cards just in case.
Have you tried any of these tips before? Share with us some of your experiences handling flight cancellations or delays at airports. Stay warm everyone!